Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Update on Cavell

Our poor boy woke up at 3 this morning and didn't understand why he couldn't open his eyes.  As one can imagine, he was scared.  I was able to tuck him back into bed after some snuggles.  A few weeks ago I watched a boxing movie that depicted someone slicing a black eye open.  It was very disturbing to me.  Paul explained that it allowed the blood and edema to drain out so the person could see.  Now as I watch my blind little boy, I can understand why a controlled cut could be worth it.  No, we are not going to drain Cavell's eyes.

When Cavell woke up again for the morning (at 5!) I was able to comfort him again and carry him downstairs to listen to the TV.  He walked to the kitchen for breakfast and did a great job eating his ball cereal (aka Kix) and raisins.  He didn't even spill his milk.  When he was done I took him back to the chair by the TV.

7:30 am and Cavell was already bored.  He began wondering the house, running into a couple of walls.  He even went upstairs to hang out with his Papa, but needed to be carried down.  By 8:30 he was able to just peek out from the bottom of his eyes.  This made him think he could run around; except some things stick out further than the wall and he has run into those, with his head.  He also asked for his frozen grapes for his eyes.  He used them for a while, and then started to eat them.

10 am and Cavell has fallen asleep.  Except, I couldn't tell.  At 11 he helped me make some really simple cookies.  He did a really good job and didn't even spill.

Cavell is again watching TV.  To see out of the bottom of his eyelids, he needs to tilt his head back and stretch out his mouth to move his cheeks out of the way.

The swelling is moving down and away from his forehead which is good.  It's obviously filled up his eyelids and now is migrating down his nose and starting to move down his cheeks as well.  The entire upper third of his face is losing definition.

All of this seems to be hardest on the parents.  Cavell is taking things in stride pretty well.  He was climbing up on my lap and doing back flips on to the floor this afternoon.  His sense of humor is fully intact.  The positive we are taking out of this is that he has slowed down enough that we get to sit down and snuggle with him during the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Ok - I can't keep my mouth shut any longer. Have you had him to the dr yet? I'm just worried that if the impact was enough to cause that much bruising, he may have a small fracture in his forehead. I've heard of that happening with no obvious symptoms after and then a few weeks later they suddenly go into a coma. I do realize that you can't really do anything about the bruising - poor little guy. Odds are that he just hit some good juicy vessels - it would be nice to make sure though. -Kerstin

Diamond said...

Thank you for caring about Cavell. Many were concerned that he should see the doctor. Yes, we have taken him to be seen. I just posted about that here.