Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Taggies

When I was expecting Alayna, our new cousin, Tara, gave us a Taggies book.
Very sweet


I had also been reading a lot about Taggies blankets.  The idea was that an "infant was often more interested in the satin tags on toys and clothing than the object itself."  Other mothers I was talking with said how much their little ones LOVED their Taggies.  I didn't understand why someone would spend money when they could make their own with scraps.  Except, I didn't have such scraps.  On my first visit home with the new baby (Alayna) I raided my mother's ribbon scraps and fleece.  Mom and I made a tagged blanket . . . and Alayna couldn't care less about it.  I thought, maybe she was too young.  No, she never cared for tags.  She liked when I would read her the book, but she didn't bother with the tags.  Soon, the book and blanket where packed away with the baby things.

Cavell is born and all baby toys are pulled out again.  Alayna loves all of the baby toys, but still no interest in the tag items.  Cavell never cared about the tags either.  When he outgrew the baby toys I debated whether I should bother packing the blanket and book with the others, or just pass them on.

As Lex has been developing I have been pulling out different toys that I think he would enjoy (and trying to keep them away from the siblings).  The tags were not among those brought out.  Then I started noticing that when Lex is done eating and rolls over, he was always grabbing the tags on my Boppy Pillow.  I have pulled out my tagged blanket and finally have a baby that appreciates what he has.

This is also a good picture to share that, not only can Lex sit unsupported, he can sit himself up from crawling position.

1 comment:

Tara Oliver said...

cute!! my kids never did anything with the tags, either - but now that I can sew (sort of....a little...barely...)I see how easy it would be to make a taggie anything. Lex is so cute!!