Saturday, October 23, 2010

1/2 Marathon Report

In January I had a Sunday School lesson on goals and resolutions.  Mine was to run a half marathon by the end of the year.  I knew the Rock n' Roll San Antonio would be in November.  After Lex was born I found a local Marathon and Half Marathon that was scheduled for their inaugural year when Lex would be 6 months old.  The local Half Marathon was chosen based on the ease of accomplishing the logistics of feeding Lex and completing a race.  Running a small race close to home would be a much better experience for the family and would still offer me the same challenges of running a larger race that adds two hours of driving time to the mix.  So six weeks after Lex was born, the practice and preparation began. 


Race Day!!  I finished my 1/2 in 2:17:30.  That is a PR by 30 minutes compared to my time last year.  My training plan projection said I should do it in 2:15, and I am amazed that I was that close.  I wanted to finish faster, and my training runs said I could.  But there were some crazy hills, and I did not train on hills quite that size (or that many).

Note the sweaty armpits BEFORE the race started.  Why do I run races on the hottest, most humid days of the year?
My friend, Brooke, and I were actually in the port-a-potties when the race started.  We still crossed the start only 2 minutes "late".  Very different from the Rock n' Roll last year.  35,000+ runners there compared to 1,200 at this race.

I did well through the pack on the up hills in the first 3 miles.  After that the race said the course was fairly flat.  HA!  As I was coasting down some of the hills during the 4-6 miles, I knew I would have to try and run back up on the way back.  I managed to get to the turnaround/half-way point in 63 minutes, which was smack on the pace I wanted.  But, those hills between miles 7-9 were as tough as I expected talked myself into them being.  It didn't help that the only mile mark I saw on the way back was for mile 8.  I know I slowed down . . . a lot.

Just after the 10 mile point Brooke passed me.  I was feeling rough.  But, positive thinking kept her in sight the rest of the race.  Even if it didn't give me a big push, it kept me from really hitting a wall.  I knew I wouldn't hit my goal time, but after seeing the 3 mile marker again, I realized I could make my training time if I didn't wuss out.  It helped that I could coast down some hills after that, even though my calf's hurt.  Towards the very end there were still some little hills that felt much bigger now that I was running them again.  I have a new appreciation for the stories of going, "uphill both ways" now.  With about 1/2 mile to go I had to walk; roughly a block, about .1 or .2 miles.  I finished at a jog.  I went a little faster through the finish chute, but I was not able to sprint in strong.


This is when I mess up my races.  After a training run I sip my leftover HEED and walk about a mile and feel good and recover well.  At the race, I picked up my medal and a cold water bottle.  Then, I STOPPED and GUZZLED the whole bottle of water.  Next my body rebels and tells me what a bad idea it is to break my post-run habit.  My legs cramped up so I grabbed a chunk of ice from the water trough and began icing my legs.  I hurt so much I couldn't decide to stand or sit, so I sat down and got up and then repeated for about ten minutes. All the while, guzzling MORE water, refusing the electrolyte drink that is offered and then arguing with Paul over whether I should take the last electrolyte pill. I was well on my way to hyponatremia, (water intoxication that kills distance runners and others who drink too much water resulting in an electrolyte imbalance), and didn't even know it.  And I hurt more and continued to feel sick to my stomach.  All the while we are chatting with friends, including Brooke who says she hurts, but seems just fine.

After 20 minutes of this Paul (who had all 3 kids) made me get up and walk across the parking lot to get my bag (where I downed my recovery drink and felt even more sick).  I tried to sit down again at this point and was severely reprimanded by Paul.  It was time to stop the self-destructive behaviors and start listening to Paul.  He made me walk with him the 1/2 mile up a crazy hill to get to the van and come home.  He even gave me dirty looks when I walked too slow.  It hurt.  But then I felt better.  Strangely enough, I needed to walk up that last hill at a decent pace in order to stop the pain.  I would probably still be sprawled out on the asphalt in cramped up tears if Paul hadn't gotten me up and walking again. 

So, no post race pics or entertainment; I didn't even check my "official" time and rank.  But, with a little flexing and message for my cramping foot I felt normal before the 10 minute drive is over.  Then I had to feed Lex, because he refuses a bottle and was starving after a 5 hour fast. I don't realize how full I can get during that time.  I think I am using everything my body has for me on my run, but this was an interesting reminder that my body is still built for caring for a baby.

Paul (kindly) laughs at my bad race habit.  He gets to since he saved me from it.  He also says I like to pick the races on the most humid, warm days.  Yes, our cool weather left us and I was running on the warmest, muggy day we have had in 3 weeks (temps in the 70's and humidity at least 80%).

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Way to go, Stacy! Sorry that the 1/2 marathon didn't go as well as you had hoped, but I admire you just for doing it and finishing, that's super!