Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pamela's, again

I ♥♥♥ these cookies!  The Lemon Shortbread cookies are delicious.  I savored each and every bite of each one of the cookies I had from this box.  I was sad that I had to share them with the kids.  I was disappointed the kids liked them.  I was vexed that Paul had more than one when he said he did not like them.  He says they were too strong.  I thought the intense lemon flavour was perfect.  The words that come to mind to describe the flavour: lemon, refreshing, light, clean, crisp, rich, mmmmm.  Texture wise they were perfect; firm enough to take a real bite, but soft enough the they almost dissolved in my mouth, small nuggets of something throughout the cookie that burst with extra flavour.  Yes, I will be buying these.  Yes, they will be for ME, the only person in the family that doesn't even need to eat gluten free.  I need to stop thinking about these cookies, I think I'm drooling.

Pancakes.  We checked out a kids gluten free cookbook from the library a couple weeks.  The cover has a pancake face.  Alayna has been asking to make pancakes with a face since.  I don't think Alayna or Cavell have ever had a real pancake, even of the gluten free variety.  Paul has tried a couple of high protein "pancakes" but they weren't good and don't count.  Well, one can imagine Alayna's excitement when she saw the Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix.

Big success.  Golden, fluffy and tasty.  What more could you ask for in a pancake?  Paul made a triple batch with the kids, who made faces on them with fruit.  Even Lex enjoyed a couple of cakes.  And just to put his Papa coolness over the top, the last cakes where served with leftover birthday ice cream with cherries and chocolate sauce on top.

There is a little over 2 batches left.  Waffles do not tempt us.  We have perfected our waffle recipe and make a double batch about every week.  Now we need to decide if we will try crepes or muffins with it, or just have another pancake meal.  This is a mix I can see keeping on hand in the pantry.  Paul says we can and should make our own pancakes from scratch instead.  Seeing how this was the first time we've made pancakes says that we "can't" do that.  If we do, we will have to experiment to find The Recipe.  If we try pancake recipes, they will be competing with these.


A couple of updates.  I was looking at the picture of the organic cookies' box.  It seems there were three more cookie packs of another, unknown to me, flavour.  I did not get a taste of them, I don't even know what they were!  I do know I found one of the wrappers in the living room in the kids' pillow corner, but that was the PB Chocolate Chip flavour.  But, I put the box on the top shelf after I found the wrapper.  It does make me wonder where the last three went.  I have my suspicions that it was Paul.
Also, Paul actually liked the Chocolate Chunk Pecan Shortbread, obviously more than the Lemon Shortbread.  He thought they were good.  But, I don't think he liked them enough to bother buying them.

No comments: