Monday, March 28, 2011

More Pamela's

The mystery has been solved!  My sister's friend's wife works at Pamela's Products.  I guess she shared about our family of Celiacs and we became the recipients of a large sample package.  Thank you, Stephanie, Stephanie's friend, Stephanie's friend's wife, and Pamela's Products.  Now for more of our product reviews.

Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies.  Yum.  I should probably compare these to the Famous Amos cookies but it has been a looong time since I've tasted those.  I happened to have some Chips Ahoy Saturday.  These really are very similar, except the Chips Ahoy* are a little bigger and have more chocolate chips.  Pamela's Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies are drier, in a crunchy way, which is still a tastey way.  That's a good thing when it is what you want, which is what I want from this type of cookie.
* I am talking about the original, blue bag Chips Ahoy.


Ginger Mini Snapz.  I don't remember eating ginger cookies before the family needed to eat gluten free.  Then, I only bought the Mi-Del version because they were available at our regular grocery store and would be an acceptable substitute/improvement for graham crackers in the crust of our traditional Thanksgiving pumpkin cheesecake.  Well, these taste like that, I think, it's been awhile.  These have a strong flavour; tingle you tongue strong, which, in my opinion, is good for a ginger cookie.

We liked all three versions of the Simplebites cookies (remember the Extreme Chocolate Mini Cookies from the previous post?).  They are what one expects from a packaged snack cookie, even a regular gluten version.  They aren't "to die for!"  They aren't the best cookie you will ever eat.  They are the kind of cookies you technically buy for the kids, but you will nibble on one now and then, and maybe pop another in your mouth here or there because these are enjoyable.  Then you realize that you have probably eaten half of the kids' cookies, because, while they have been put out of reach of the children, you can still reach them.  Or maybe that is just me (and Paul)?


I'm sorry to say we had some "fails" in our sampling.  The boxed version of the Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies (Cavell is holding the box) and the Organic cookies: we sampled the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and the Chocolate Chunk Pecan Shortbread.  We were also given samples of the Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies, but we aren't fans of the taste or smell of coffee items, so Paul is giving those to someone at work.

I had the same problem with the Chocolate Chip and PB Chocolate Chip cookies.  They were too soft.  Just holding a cookie felt like it was going to come apart in my fingers, or my thumb was going to poke thru from the bottom as the cookie fell around.  There was some actual drooping of the cookie as I held it.  I didn't feel like I could really bite the cookies.  It was like they came apart when I started to bite them.  While they weren't actually dry, the powdery texture they became in my mouth made them seem dry.

The pecan cookie was dry and hard, but still broke easily.  While I could bite it, it just exploded into crumbs in my mouth.  Those crumbs were rather tasteless. There wasn't much chocolate chunk to try and make up for the lack of flavour either.  Maybe this is actually a flaw of any pecan shortbread?  It's been a few years since I had a Keebler Sandies and I wasn't a fan of them anyway.

Not to worry, as you can see we have more items to review, and I'm certain the positives will out weigh these negatives.

No comments: