Friday, March 18, 2011

Failed Project

This week has been Spring Break for Alayna. Since St. Patrick's Day was also this week I thought it would be fun to do a craft project with the kids. Thru a blog trail I can't remember, I found this tutorial to make "Crafts for Children: Stained Glue Shamrock Crafts".

After taping the templates under some wax paper, I poured glue in a little cup and happily started cutting string to length and passing them to Alayna.  I had to stop and cut the cup because it was too tall for her fingers to push the string into the glue.  Alayna and Cavell were now dipping and I was back to snipping.  The kids were having trouble getting the glued string to follow their outlines.  I knew I would have to help Cavell and told Alayna to watch what I did.  Except it was really hard to get the string to follow the outline.  In the time it took for me to get the first ouline done, the kids were bored and left.  That's okay, once the outlines are done the string has to dry overnight and then they can do the glue painting the next day, which should be simple.

Alayna ended up playing at a friends' house the next day, so Cavell and I got ready to paint glue.  Cavell LOVED painting glue.  The filler glue made the string soft and pliable again.  With his brush, Cavell managed to undo a fair portion of the outlining I had done on his shamrocks.


I took the time to carefully do the rainbow myself.  It was not easy to keep the string where it needed to be or to keep the colours separate.  After all that, our project took two days to dry instead of one, so they weren't done in time for St. Patrick's Day.

I took my rainbow off of the wax paper today, except most of the wax paper came off with it.

No comments: