Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs

I love hand-me-downs for my kids for a number of reasons.
  1. I am cheap. There is nothing better than clothing that is passed on and costs me nothing.
  2. I hate shopping. There is nothing better than clothing that is passed on that I didn't have to shop for.
  3. I have no sense of style. There is nothing better than clothing that is passed on that is stylin'. I'm just saying, dear family and friends, you have much better taste than I.
But, the reason I love hand-me-downs the most: the memories. I love putting clothing on my children and thinking, "Oh, doesn't that just make you think of . . . "

Examples:
This shirt is from Alex. Each time I see it I think of him bouncing on his toes with more energy than all the other kids combined.

This shirt is from Karl. And I can see him quietly and intently working on something while the others run around him.

And this shirt is from Alexander. Okay, it is highly possible that it came from Karl first, but this one reminds me of Xander. Slyly climbing on everything that should be too big for him.

So bring 'em on everybody. Even if I didn't see the child wear those clothes in person, I think about that child every time I put the clothes on my children. If you want your kids to be immortalized in my memory, send me your cast-off clothing yearning to be worn!

1 comment:

Lydia Jane Images said...

Cavell is looking a lot like Christian and Jensen........they must be related.