Monday, November 16, 2009

Stacy's Half Marathon Race Report

My race was a HUGE marathon and 1/2 marathon combo with over 31,000 people. Because of my estimated finish time I was in start group corral 26 out of 35. It took 50 minutes from the time the gun went off just to get to the starting line! I didn't bring my music and enjoyed listening to the bands along the route and the other runners. I was surprised at the number of people carrying lots of water and "stuff." I thought it might be because I was with the slow/new/inexperienced people but Paul saw a gal up in corral 5 with a baggie of makeup, that she used before the start!?!

The Before Picture. See how happy I am?
My run went really well. I stopped along the course to use a port-a-potty after the first mile. The funny part is there was a line, and when a lady came out no one would go in because she said it smelled really bad. I didn't care so I got in and out fast and avoided the line.

Running in a group this big was a new experience. I had to walk at each water stop as I drank otherwise I end up choking and splashed all over. Not to mention, the pack I was in all slowed down and you couldn't get fluids unless you slowed down as well.
The first half of the race, I was right on pace to finish in 2:30. I really enjoyed being able to check a pace band I printed up to help keep me on track. Around mile 4 and 5 there was a hill that slowed me down, but I wasn't too far off. Kept it up for a few more miles but had slowed down for mile 8, and felt a little confused about my fuel plan. I couldn't remember when I had planned to take more gel and electrolytes, but I ended up getting it all in me.

I knew I was getting even slower and when when I got to mile 11 I decided to walk a bit. Except I was wrong, I had only made it to 10.5 miles. That was a bit demoralizing, but it was too difficult to comfortably run anymore after the walk break and I had promised I wouldn't push myself. Around mile 12 it hurt to walk and stopping to stretch hurt even more. So I found a "slog" to be the most comfortable movement and made it up the hill to cross the finish line in 2:48. I got my medal, posed for a picture and scavenged for free food before getting bags of ice for my legs.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Way to go, Stacy! Doing a half-marathon is a great accomplishment! You look great!