Sunday, November 26, 2006

Cutlery
I've been bit by another hobby bug. I was given a knife making kit as a gift. I didn't make the blade, but I built and shaped the handle as well as sewed the sheath. The knife is very simple and the sheath is even more simple, but I enjoyed myself so much that I hope to move on to something more complex.



The knife is somewhat modeled after the Finnish Puukko style of knife. The blade is a traditional Puukko size and style and is made from Swedish steel. The handle is made from two different woods found in the desert in Arizona. I shaped the blade in a modified traditional style using a coping saw, rasp, dremel tool, sand paper, and tung oil.

The sheath is a cross between a western style and a scandinavian style. It is very simple, just a fold down the middle and some leather stitching. I didn't have any leather conditioner, stamps, or dye, so it will probably stay very simple. I just wish the kit came with a belt loop, but I don't know wear I would where such a thing anyway.

No comments: