Monday, October 02, 2006

Not Quite A Notch

The snakes around here are getting awfully gutsy. Stacy recently found one in the guest bathroom. I was driving home from a job in Tallahassee and was about an hour away from home when she called. She seemed pretty calm for having a snake in her bathroom.


Stacy closed the door, stuffed a towel in the crack, and waited for me to come home. When I got home, Stacy reported that the snake was curled up in a corner and wasn't really moving. Alayna had decided that, "She was scared". Apparently, this particular snake is a girl. I entered the room and noticed a 12" long snake curled up in the corner. Stacy has the camera and is taking pictures. The snake seems pretty calm at this point.


Stacy told me that she had looked on the internet and found our new house guest. She is a Blue Stripe Garter snake. Normally found in Florida around residences and water sources, eating small bugs and supposedly harmless. I guess I was supposed to start feeling warm and fuzzy about this snake. But when I tried to get her to crawl into a plastic bag, she started attacking. Luckily, I was able to persuade her to enter the bag without any party being harmed.

I took her outside and released her by the pond down the street. She slithered off without even looking back. Not even a thank you for not chopping my head off. Ungrateful snake!


You can kind of see the triangle shaped head.

No comments: