Monday, September 04, 2006




Labor Day Fantasies
The Jensen family went to the beach today to celebrate Labor Day. While we were sitting on the sand enjoying the weather, sun, and water, Stacy asked me if this was something I have always dreamed about. She was right. I've always wanted to be able to spend time with my family at the beach. Alayna is old enough to really enjoy her time at the beach, and Stacy is even learning to have fun in the sun.

Alayna loves to chase the birds on the beach. She has not seen the movie The Birds yet, so she is not aware of how vengeful these animals can be. She hasn't caught one yet, but she tends to run pretty far down the beach. Mom has to keep a sharp eye on her. Her bravery is also extending to the edge of the water. She likes to run down to the waters edge and wash her hands in the ocean when they get sandy.

Stacy has gained an appreciation for the beach and the water that she never expected to have. She has always burned easily and been reticent to join the animals in the water. She also has a thing about being sandy. But when the weather is good, she and Alayna are at the beach weekly with a group of moms and children. After some mishaps, Stacy has overcome the sunburn and transcended to tan lines. I'm still not going to state that she is tan, but she has definite tan lines on her back from her swimsuit straps.

So there I am, laying on the beach with the sun on my back, feeling pretty good, thinking about these things and how fortunate we are to live in the place we do. I don't get to go to the beach as often as Stacy and Alayna, but I get to go more than I have ever been able to in the past. The water is warm and nice to swim in despite the fact that our beach is the shark bite capitol of the world.

The drive home takes about an hour and Alayna falls asleep in her car seat, tired from all the running and sun. Showers get the last of the sand and salt rinsed off of sun soaked bodies. Stacy, with her newfound confidence in the sun was quick to point out that I was the only one to come home with a sunburn. I guess that means I need to spend more time in the sun.



No comments: